I can't tell you enough about mexico in the next few seconds I have to write a blog post, then skeedadle to get ready for a friends birthday party. But I will try.
On the flight down to Brownsville, TX I was feeling rather insecure. Slightly tired, and wanting to go home. During that time I thought to myself: "Kate- this always happens. You are miserable going down- because you had to go. And you are miserable coming going home, because you had to leave. Agh"
And I was right.
In the space of 7 days I realized what a spoiled rotten life I live. And not to step on toes- but all of my friends as well.
These people living in Matamoros, Mexico live on virtually nothing. Their houses were patched huts made with sheets, boxes, bits of metal and wood. They had no nice clothes. And hardly any food. Every day their job was to travel up onto this huge mound of trash that they lived near. That was burning day and night. And dig thru it to find anything of value that they could sell- or eat.
Many children in that area have downs syndrome and other like diseases due to the amount of chemicals in the air and water.
Yet their joy. Their strength. Their generousity.
Their love for Jesus was so simple. Yet more complex than any Catholic church could make it.
While we were down there we did 2 communitly outreaches. Both for Children in the area. We entertained them, shared the gospel, and fed them Hot Dogs. (Much to mom's chagrin).
The eyes of some of the children still haunt me.
I have to go now, I'll try to post pictures later.
Planes and Automobiles
12 years ago
3 comments:
Finally! An update!
I am so glad that your family was able to be a blessing to the people of Mexico. I am looking forward to the day when I am able to go on trips like that and am able to help out where it is truly needed.
See you tomorrow!
You have Catholics reading your blog. I would advise you not to offend them.
When are you going to post pictures?!?!?!?! :-D
Post a Comment